Hello, everyone! I am not sure you know this (though if I have known you for any length of time it is likely), but
- strong yet nice lady meets morally ambiguous dude
- lady befriends dude, with understandable reservations
- dude develops interest in her
- dude begins controlling her life
is a very problematic narrative! And this is sad for me, because I love stories about strong yet nice ladies and their relationships with morally ambiguous people (dudeness not necessary). Apparently there are many people who do not understand that the proper formation of a nice lady/morally ambiguous person is
- strong yet nice lady meets morally ambiguous person
- lady befriends person, with understandable reservations
- person goes ‘wow, this lady is pretty cool’
- fun things!
- *understandable relationship problems caused by difference in personal worldview*
- *honest conversation about relationship boundaries*
- a relationship enjoyable to both parties, as well as all their friends, who think they are HILARIOUS together.
Only having read several stories in this latter format do I realize exactly what was bothering me about the former.
(Feel free to spread this post to anyone you think would benefit by reading it, e.g. the creators of Black Bird.)
So I am trawling along through the Relena Peacecraft tag, as you do. And I see people talking shit about Relena, saying they would kill her if they could, etc. So I just click the handy little ‘block’ button, because if someone hates Relena I know they will never say anything I am interested in hearing.
It’s a nice metric for sorting ‘people I might someday want to talk to’ vs. ‘people whom I might punch if they tried to talk to me’.
It’s been intensely damaging, and left a healthy girl completely blind. The family needs help to pay for a wheelchair lift, additions to the house to accommodate Gloria’s vision, and some help with day to day expenses so Gloria’s mother can take care of her properly.
can we please reblog this a little bit more
they like, specifically asked for my help